Thursday, February 25, 2010

Crossing the Sea... through the storms.

Mark 4:35-41
On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, "Let us go across to the other side." And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"

Everyone knows this story. It's a classic Bible story that is taught at a young age in Sunday school. But not until recently, and recently meaning like 3 years ago, did I really grasp this story and find so much comfort in it. I forget if I was doing my own devotions or heard it in a sermon, but nonetheless, I was blessed and it taught me that Jesus never breaks His word! Yes, I have seen a rainbow and I know what it stands for... but this too really touched my life when I spent time in it and took it to heart.
First of all, notice how in the passage Jesus says "Let us go ACROSS to the other side"... what was that? Across? Yup. Jesus said go ACROSS to the other side. Not part way, not half way, not even 7/8 of the way and then swim the other 1/8. Nope. Jesus said across. Then, probably what is a main factor in the story (lol)...the storm comes. And it's a big one at that. They go and wake Jesus, make a fuss about how they are going to perish, but then Jesus gets up, merely speaks, yes SPEAKS, to the sea and in an instant the storm is GONE and everything is calm. Totally still. In this part, I find it interesting (and significant) that Jesus is asleep when the storm comes. He knows they are going to get to the other side so he has the peace in knowing that they will indeed get there and so he is able to rest. Also, it's not like Jesus whispered "let us go across to the other side" to himself. The disciples heard him say that. They knew that they were going across the sea. But when a storm comes a long, their faith is lost and they make quite the fuss.

This is what really struck me because how often in our lives does that happen? I know for myself, this is a struggle I have. Even currently, with the nursing applications, and finding out if I will be accepted for the fall... it's a struggle. I'll fuss and complain and doubt. Sad. But the thing is... if God wants me to be a nurse for His glory... He will get me there. No questions asked. Will there be bumps and trials and storms along the way? I'd be surprised if there weren't. But the fact is that if it is God's will. It will be done. "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" Ahhhh! This verse just gets at me. I feel like Jesus is talking directly to me. Why am I afraid? Why in the world do I doubt? If it is His will, it will be done. In HIS timing I might add. Obviously, this does not apply just to me and my situation. Whatever you may be going through, this can definitely apply. For a career, school, family issues, friends, and even when it comes to relationships. If it is God's will for you to get married, it will happen, it definitely won't be a smooth ride, there will be ups and downs, but in the end it will all be worth it and you will reach the shore across the sea. The God who can calm roaring seas and blustering winds with just His voice...THAT'S whose in control of your future. THAT'S who YOU serve. THAT'S who LOVES YOU. YOU. LOVES. YOU. He loves you. And He is your God. We never have any right to doubt Him. Although we may fall short sometimes...a lot of times... He is still and always will be sovereign. He will get you across the sea. Storms and all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment